Estampe XLVI: silverpoint with colossus

John S. Johnston, “S.S. Paris.” Detroit Publishing Company Collection, Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/det/item/2016805780/. Contrast and detail restored in post-processing. The Library dates the image between 1890 and 1900, but that range can be narrowed to 1893-1898. In 1893 the ship was renamed from City of Paris and transferred from the British flag to the American, and from the spring of 1898 she served in the Spanish-American War as USS Yale and then returned to civilian service under her former name, City of Paris (Wikipedia, “SS City of Paris“). Visible off the starboard quarter is the Statue of Liberty.